Saturday, September 22, 2012

East Branch 9-22-12





Brown Slapped me

Look how Dark his colors are



Today I went to the East Branch and went Fly fishing at 8am. The Sun was blocked by clouds and it was slightly chilly, but not much. I started fishing nymphs when I remembered reading about using streamers in low sun light situations and so I switched over to a dark colored wooly bugger. In ten minutes I connected with a nice rainbow a little later I connected with another trout but I lost him due to a break in the tippet.
I continued to walk further south down the trail until i saw a nice piece of water that was a little more deep then I usually fish (about 3-4ft deep) and I tied on a second wooly bugger with a tungsten gold beadhead. (to get the streamer deeper in the water. I connected with the best stream trout I have ever caught a 17-18 inch brown trout I think it was 1 & 1/2 pound or two pounds. It was hard to take pic's because he tail slapped me and slipped out my hands back into the water but boy was it a great fight. Good thing i recorded the FIGHT!    I will put the vid up later after it uploads  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Manny. Enjoyed reading your blog. I was on the EB on Saturday as well. It was actually my first time fishing the watershed. Had a great time.

Unknown said...

Hi Joel I am glad you like my blog. This is my fifth time at the EB and I am having a blast trying Fly fishing there.
Have you been on the Westchester Fishing Forum yet?
Its a great source of info on fishing the Watershed and I would suggest that you join the forum. Really nice guys on there that are willing to point you in the right direction if you had any questions about the watershed or the plain fishing in general.

j.curran said...

Manny, this trip report is awesome dude. Keep up the good work. That brown and rainbows are some great catches!

Unknown said...

Manny,sorry for the delay in my response. I came across the Westchester Fishing Forum during my one of my google searches. It's actually how I found the link to your blog. I agree, lots a nice people and great info on there. I ordered a fly rod a few weeks ago. Slowly getting outfitted. Keep up the good work. Great posts.

Unknown said...

Joel Thanks for the positive feedback its much appreciated. Take your time with your FF Outfit. Make sure you buy exactly what you want or need. This Fly fishing gear can get expensive. I am hoping to get another outfit from Orvis in the near future but I have to save $$$$ I think its good to have goals even if its for gear. I only hope that when I have children one day that I can pass all me gear along to them, so they can use it to fish as well.

Best of luck to you buddy

Unknown said...

Manny, thanks for the advice. I know exactly what you mean. Even an entry-level set up can be a bit pricey. Orvis has wonderful stuff. When I really get going I hope to maybe pick up a reel here and a rod there. For now I purchased an Eagle Claw Featherlight rod and I'm currently looking at a Redington Crosswater reel, pre-spooled with RIO mainstream 5 wt line. Little by little. Maybe I'll see you out there on the EB one of these days.

Thanks and best of luck to you as well!