Saturday, April 6, 2013

Westbranch on the Croton Watershed

Decided that this season I would try other locations that I have never tried before (a lot easier said then done). So I drove to Amawalk outlet but there was nowhere close to park so I tried to find the inlet and had no luck finding it. I changed direction and pulled over by Croton falls rd and decided to try this strip of water that I have never tried before. I got out the car it was about 1130 am at this point and as I got suited up in my waders I see an angler returning to his car and I asked him how he did and his reply was he had been there since very early and had no luck at all. He continued to complain about how he went all the way to the Dam and no luck, He had been fishing there for years (since he was a kid) and he used to catch 10-20 fish there each outing in the past during this time of year. I then said good buy and he said good luck Its now 1145am

I started heading into the stream and noticed that it was very low and about 8-16 inches deep so i continued exploring and Hi Sticking. with no luck and then saw that there was a stream adjacent to this one that had a much more aggressive flow. I then changed streams, It was deeper and the possibilities looked really good (picked up a call from Mike MVB and contemplated leaving and heading to EB) I decided to try for a couple of cast. and Boom 12pm I nailed a nice Brown and another at 1210pm 15ft upstream of the first one then 1215 I hooked and lost another one. So I guess the lesson i learned today was it may not be experience but it might be beginners luck Very Happy No for real time of day may be key along with presentation selections. I also forgot to mention I was nymphing and used a small camo splitshot for the first time. My first Westbranch Trout!




No comments: